Monday, September 29, 2008

Wild Wild West

How fun! I mean, really.... how FUN! Rob and I returned last week from a great trip out West (or as some might say, the "Left" coast) to enjoy some great times and AWESOME food with our family and friends. First, we went to Oregon to spend time with my Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Don, Aunt Sherry and my Cousins, Donnie and Heather, and my Aunt Linda from California. We had a blast. My (beautiful) cousin Heather picked us up from the airport and then we all met up with my cousin Donnie at one of his fave hangouts. I can't remember the name of it, but it was great. The sandwiches were awesome and it was so much catching up and hanging out with those two.

Later we went to Grandpa's house where we all met up for an awesome seafood dinner, which was prepared by special request from me of course! How do you go to Oregon and not enjoy wild salmon, dungeness crab, smoked salmon, razor clams and excellent hospitality!? My gosh was it ever good. The clams were as tasty and delicious as I remember (and just like Pavlov's dog, they make my mouth water even now). And the crabs... magnifique! We just had the best time! Whew, I could eat that meal over and over.

The next day we went out to breakfast with Grandpa, Aunt Linda and Donnie to The Waffle House, which was outstanding. And again, it was so awesome to just catch up with everyone and enjoy a good time. Later that day Heather took me to get a pedicure (since we were heading to a wedding that weekend) and some other errands in Salem (right Heather, wink)! Girl stuff, you know!

Ohh, and another cool thing... I saw one of my childhood friends while I was there too. Debbie Pieters! That was awesome. We have known each other since we were tiny little girls and it was great to catch up with her too. She just had her first baby, so it was incredibly neat to see her and meet her new little bundle Addison.

We had another AWESOME meal at Grandpa's that night too. Can you say BIG BIG BIG RIBEYE! And when I say big, I mean big! Rob was in red meat heaven! In fact, it was so funny because everyone was in awe and amazement at how much that kid can eat! He easily shoved down 72 ounces or more of that mighty feast! Not to mention the baked potatoes and awesome cabbage roll (that Aunt Linda made). Wow! This ribeye was big enough that it took up the whole bottom shelf of the side-by-side fridge.

Friday night we also got to see Auntie and Uncle John, that was also a treat. It was really a great trip! Ohh, and after dinner we went to Donnie's house and had a Wii bowling competition. It was so much fun and so strange to get used to. That ended up being another late night! Donnie won of course, because according to Wii he is a pro bowler, but we all hung in there. (Note... I am asking Santa for a Wii and a big flat screen tv for Christmas!)

Then on Saturday Donnie took Rob and I out for maple bars, which are the best donut on the planet! Why we don't have them in PA I will never know! People are just missing the boat out here without those! And after that, Aunt Sherry and Uncle Don we our ride up to the Seattle to go to Christina's wedding. It was great to spend time with them in the car, just talking talking and more talking. It took forever to get there because of the rain. I swear the rain was making everyone drive crazy. But we eventually made it to our hotel and sadly had to say good-bye to Uncle Don and Aunt Sherry.

Needless to say, the two days we spent in Oregon were jam packed with awesome family time and great food. We can't wait to do it again and we are very very very hopeful it won't be another five years before we can make it out there again. I would really love to bring the kids next time!

No comments: